2002 Yamaha FZS1000P
|0-60:||3.01 seconds stock|
|0-100:||6.48 seconds stock|
|Stock 1/4 Mile:||10.55 @ 129.7|
|Stock WHP:||126 @ 9750RPM|
|Stock WTQ:||74 @ 7750RPM|
How it came to be: After getting *just* too comfortable with the Bandit I decided rather than perform scheduled maintenance and downgrade the exhaust I would just upgrade to a bike that was quieter, twice as powerful, half as many miles, had better stopping power, and a more comfortable seating position... and all for only ~ double what I would spend on that maintenance. It also has a fuel gauge, fully adjustable suspension, larger fuel tank.... and did I mention twice the power? :)
I got to looking on craigslist while the idea was still thumping around in my head and found two local sellers, both with great bikes. After contacting both and meeting one near Oglevy downtown, that owner went for a ride down LSD and around town with me. SOLD! The bike was everything I had hoped and more. I hopped on a train the next day and headed downtown to pick it up.
Alas, the Bandit was still in such great shape that it was gone in a week, and my total depreciation in 3 years and thousands of miles of ownership? $0.00! Things worked out rather well if you ask me :)Mods:
Picked up and rode home!
Inspected oil, coolant, and EXUP system. Tightened throttle and clutch cable play to spec. Wiped everything down by hand with degreaser, protected plastics with 303 aerospace and paint with carnauba... It looks AMAZING now (even moreso than before!). Spent some time moving the suspension settings mostly back to stock.
Changed oil with 3.1 quarts AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil SAE 10w-30 (MCTQT-EA) and AMSOIL EA filter (EaOM103).
Added T-Rex delrin lower frame sliders with hardened engine mounts. Coated upper rear motor mount in aluminum anti-seize.
Changed oil with 3.1 quarts AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil SAE 10w-30 (MCTQT-EA) and AMSOIL EA filter (EaOM103). Sent oil sample for blackstone analysis.
Replaced rear tire with 180/55-17 Michelin Pilot Road 2ct (Pilot Road center, Pilot Power sides).
Replaced front tire with Michelin Pilot Road 2ct. Noticed front right rotor, inside pad was very thin. Moved thick outside pad to this location and replaced outer pad with pad from left rotor. Put Carbone Lorraine SBK5 (2361) pads on the left rotor. Bled fluid with Motul RBF 600 and bedded new pads.
Stored up for the winter!
Changed oil with 3.1 quarts AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil SAE 10w-30 (MCTQT-EA) and AMSOIL EA filter (EaOM103). Sent oil sample for Blackstone analysis.
Changed oil with .7 quarts AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil SAE 10w-30 (MCTQT-EA) and 2.5 quarts AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil SAE 10w-40. Lubricated clutch and throttle cable. Installed upgraded 55W headlights and adjusted.
Replaced chain with a DID 530 116 link gold chain. Replaced front and rear sprocket. Noted broken chain guide. Replaced carb joints on all 4 cylinders due to cracking on #3. Replaced spark plugs with iridium plugs. Replaced air filter with a K&N filter.
Replaced rear tire with Michelin Pilot Road 2CT at Wheeler's near Deals Gap. Rode 931 miles at Deals Gap.
Rode 190 track miles at ACC North for an STT Track Day.
Changed Front Tire with Michelin Pilot Road 2CT 120/70 ZR 17.
Bled brakes with AMSOIL DOT 4 brake fluid. Replaced master cylinder screw that had stripped (With Honda part - same thread / head size).
Rode 180 track miles at Road America for an STT Track Day.
Replaced distilled water with 50/50 antifreeze mix.
Completely disassembled and cleaned front forks. Rebuilt with new seals, upper and lower bushings, clips, washers, and dust boots. Resurfaced tubes with WD40 and emery cloth. Replaced front springs with Traxxion Dynamics 1 Kg/mm and filled fluid with Fuch's to 155mm below compressed inner fork.
Changed oil with an AMSOIL EA oil filter and AMSOIL 10w-40. Sent oil in to Blackstone for analysis.
Synced carburetors with manometer. #2 from left to right was very high and #1 & #2 pair was slightly higher than #3 & #4. Replaced front brake pad with CL pad from pack above.
Replaced rear tire with 180/55-17 Michelin Pilot Road 2ct.
Changed oil with 3.1qts Rotella T6 5W-40 (blue).
Blew non-serviceable factory rear shock at deal's gap. Replaced rear shock with a R6 shock and changed to 125mm links to raise the rear ~0.56". Cleaned and lubricated all bearings in rear suspension linkage. Repaired crack in tail piece.
Replaced front tire with Michelin Pilot Road 2CT 120/70 ZR 17.
Lost rear axle nut. Replaced nut and drilled / safety wired it. Replaced chain with DID 530 VX series 116 link chain.
Changed oil with 3.1qts Rotella T6 5W-40 (blue). Changed oil filter with Purolator PureONE PL14610.